5 Things: My favorite Music to Listen to When I Write
Friday July 12, 2019 | By Hieronymus Hawkes | 5 Things | Leave Comments
I can write when its quiet. I can sort of write when the television or streaming device is playing. I can write when I am in a public space and its not horribly loud. I am pretty damned good at tuning this out (Just ask my wife.) But if I have my druthers I like to listen to music when I write. Here are 5 of my favorites in no particular order.
- Soundtracks are great, especially science fiction movies or adventure movies. My favorite of all time is Tron Legacy by Daft Punk. I listen to this pretty regularly. Pirates of the Caribbean are all pretty good. Ironman soundtracks are also great. If you are doing horror I would recommend the Diablo game soundtracks.
- Playlists are also great. I made a bunch back in the day when I started using iTunes. One of my favorites in one with Alterbridge, Breaking Benjamin and Three Days Grace. I listened to this a lot when I wrote my first novel, so it has become a nostalgia thing now.
- Build your own playlist for that project. I haven't really done this all the way. I've started a couple of times but never really finished it. I have done like a soundtrack for the movie that might be made. That is always fun. But building the soundtrack takes considerable time, time I would rather use actually writing in most cases.
- Pandora is good for music if you don’t have anything particular in mind. I like Bread Radio for 70s stuff and Talk Talk Radio for 80s stuff. I have a bunch of other stations, too.
- Spotify is unbelievable. I can pick from so many things. Songs or Albums or playlists or a particular band or even a mood. My son in law made some really great playlists. I have been listening to a lot of 311 recently. Radiohead really works for me. It is eclectic enough that it doesn’t distract me.
Week in Review 17-23 Jan
Tuesday January 25, 2011 | By Hieronymus Hawkes | Blogging | Leave Comments
It was a struggle this week for blogging and writing. I did manage to get 3000 words this week and passed the 400 page mark, but begrudgingly. I am in the climax and trying to get it right, and its coming a little at a time. My muse can be stubborn at times. That coupled with work and home events kept my mind from any productive blogging, if there is such a thing. The grand total right now sits at 96100 words. I twittered plenty, but it was mostly retweeting. I did come across this: Squishy Moonrise from Space And posted this video of one of my favorite songs form a band that broke up after one album: Big Dismal - Reality, rumor has it they are getting back together. Kam Weiland had this excellent post about the 3 Traits of a Successful Writer Fake Mars Astronauts are close to arriving at Fake Mars NASA posted this about Zeta Ophiuchi -- Runaway Star Plowing Through Space Dust Pretty dang awesome! Nanotech News -another step toward complex nanomaterials that assemble themselves Betelgeuse and 2012